Along with Lily Allen, Paris Hilton, and Emile Hirsch, Ariana Grande has become the most recent pop diva to share her personal dental experience on Instagram after removal of wisdom teeth. The caption read, “Peace out, final three wisdom teeth. It’s been real.”
Who knows if “wisdom teeth removal” will continue to be a trending topic by celebrities on social media? Nothing is taboo anymore on the celebrity scene. But for those interested or concerned, we wanted to explain more about the procedure and why extraction is recommended for most your adults before problems occur.Read More
Teeth grinding and clenching is a very common problem and it has been found that 70% of people clench or grind their teeth as a result of stress and anxiety. The involuntary or habitual grinding of teeth is known as “bruxism” and it typically occurs during sleep.
Besides stress, bruxism can negatively impact the body in many ways. It may also result from bite problems, the overuse of stimulating substances (caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs), and as a side effect of certain medications.
Sometimes, simply becoming aware of the habit can help. Stress reduction techniques which include exercise or meditation are an option while a dental professional monitor the situation to see if there is an improvement.Read More
Sports professionals in the limelight are offered the perfect opportunity to give back, especially after overcoming their own adversities or that of a close family member. Peyton Manning, famed football star, overcame a problem of his own after being born with a cleft palate.
A cleft palate is a physical deformity of the mouth, when the two plates of the skull that form the hard palate, also called the roof of the mouth, is not fully joined, causing a gap. As is the case with most children suffering from a cleft palate, Manning faced several challenges. As a baby, Manning had to use special bottles, because the hole in his palate caused the milk he was being fed to come out his nose. Read More
Whether you are wearing orthodontic retainers during treatment or after your braces or Invisalign are completed at Southern Maine Orthodontics, over time… your retainers or aligners can discolor and look gross. You brush and floss daily, so adding cleaning your retainers to your daily routine is just another step to maintaining good oral hygiene habits.
Five Tips for Keeping Your Orthodontic Retainers or Invisalign Aligners Clean and Safe
Invisalign Teen – A Smart Alternative for Teens and Parents
Does your teen need braces? Are they worried about how they will look and feel? Are you worried about the cost and co-operation during sensitive Teen years?
A great option for everyone is to choose Invisalign Teen, a revolutionary alternative to straighten teeth which offers many advantages over traditional braces at a comparable cost.
Advantages of Invisalign Teen
Rather than using wires and brackets that make Teens self-conscious during orthodontic treatment, Invisalign Teen uses custom-made plastic aligners that are:
Nearly undetectable when inserted
Much less painful and can be removed when eating and playing sports
Systematically changed to move teeth. Custom aligners are changed every two weeks
When used as recommended, Invisalign Teen is just as effective as traditional braces and capable of correcting issues ranging from the mild to the severe.
Top Five Most Frequently Asked Invisalign Teen Questions
1. Is Everyone Eligible for InvisalignTeen? – Most teens are eligible. Visit an orthodontist who has experience working with Invisalign Teen to evaluate if your child is a candidate.
2. How Long Does the Treatment Take? – The treatment time depends on the orthodontic issue being corrected, but in most cases, it is comparable or less than traditional braces.
3. How Much Does It Cost? – Again, the cost of Invisalign depends on the individual orthodontic issue and the orthodontist you visit. Fees are similar to traditional braces and many dental insurance providers offer coverage.
4. How long do you wear the Invisalign aligners each day and how often do you change them? Invisalign Teen is most effective when worn for 20 to 22 hours a day and aligners are changed every two weeks. Built-in indicators on the aligners help the orthodontist to determine if the patient is complying with instructions. If the patient is not following instructions as prescribed, it can compromise the end result.
5. What Happens if an Invisalign Teen Aligner Gets Lost? – If lost, inform your orthodontist immediately. You can temporarily go back to the last aligner to maintain your current result until the lost aligner can be replaced and treatment can resume. It is important not to skip to the next aligner with consulting your orthodontist first.
Contact Southern Maine Orthodontics for a Free Evaluation
Is Invisalign Teen right for your son or daughter? Does your insurance cover the cost? How soon can the treatment get started? Get all your questions answered by contacting our Scarborough ME office.
Teen Esteem…Every patient has their own reasons for deciding to undergo orthodontic treatment. For adolescents and teens, an image has always been a key factor in social integration and in today’s beauty conscious society, a beautiful smile is high on their list of priorities.
According to NBC TODAY – “Selfie Esteem” give teens a confidence boost and social media is the ideal platform to broadcast yourself to the world. “Even though that seems very simple, that’s an extraordinary shift, historically. “It’s the first time you get to be the photographer and the subject of the photograph,” says Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center. “Control makes people believe in themselves.”
65% of teenage girls reported that seeing their selfies on social media actually boosts their confidence.
40% of all teens say social media helps them present their best face to the world.